How do I dispose of automotive products?

Automotive products like motor oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, transmission fluid, carburetor cleaner and similar products should be taken to the HazChem Center in containers no larger than 5 gallons for free disposal. Speedlube and Advance Auto Parts may accept used motor oil for free but there is a limit to how much they can take each day, so you should call them first. Antifreeze may be poured down the drain with generous amounts of water, but the preferable disposal option would be to take it to the HazChem Center. For your safety, materials are accepted at the HazChem Center by appointment only, so always call first! The number is 319-753-8758.

HazChem Center

Show All Answers

1. How do I dispose of hazardous household chemicals?
2. How do I dispose of automotive products?
3. How do I dispose of needles and sharps?
4. How do I dispose of fluorescent light bulbs or HID bulbs?