February 28, 2023
At 1:17 PM Monday February 27, 2023 the Burlington and West Burlington Fire Departments were called to 2405 Mt. Pleasant Street in Burlington for a report of a house full of smoke. One fire unit was in the area and arrived at 1:19 PM. A small fire was located on the floor in the living room. Firefighters had the fire under control by 1:24 PM. The fire damage was contained to a small area on and below the living room’s wood floor. The house sustained smoke damage throughout.
The house is owned by Laura Olson of Carman IL and occupied by Kayla Johnson. Nobody was home at the time of the fire. The fire was discovered by a relative stopping to care for indoor pets. Damage is estimated at $2,500 to the structure and $5,000 to contents. The property is insured. All pets are accounted for and uninjured.
The fire is considered accidental and was caused by a heat lamp that had fallen onto the wood floor.
Thirteen Burlington firefighters responded to the call. West Burlington firefighters were called off. Firefighters were assisted by Burlington Police. Firefighters cleared the scene at 2:20 PM. There were no injuries.