July 4, 2022
At 5:04 PM Monday July 4, 2022 the Burlington Fire Department responded to a reported house fire at 3011 Market Street in Burlington. Upon arrival firefighters found light smoke coming from the west end of the attic. Firefighters were able to locate a small fire in the attic above the electrical panel. The fire was brought under control by 5:32 PM.
The duplex rental house is owned by Larry Graham and occupied by Laura Talbott and is insured. The fire was contained to the attic with smoke damage throughout and water damage in the kitchen. Damages are estimated at $20,000. Working smoke detectors were present, but the fire was discovered before they activated. The Red Cross has been called for victim assistance.
The cause of the fire is electrical in nature and is considered accidental.
Eleven Burlington firefighters responded to the call and were assisted by nine West Burlington firefighters and four Mediapolis firefighters responding on automatic aid. Officers with the Burlington Police Department and Alliant Energy also assisted at the scene. There were no injuries. Firefighters cleared the scene at 7:09 PM