January 7, 2022
At 08:00 AM Friday January 7th, 2022 the Burlington Fire Department responded to a reported fire in the upstairs of 1428 Cleveland Ave in Burlington. Burlington Firefighters arrived 6 minutes later to find a smoldering fire in the upstairs of the residence. Residents had made attempts to extinguish the fire using a garden hose.
The single-family home, owned and occupied by Curtis Heath sustained an estimated $1000 in damages to the structure and $500 in damages to contents.
The fire started in the upstairs of the residence when embers from a coal burning fireplace ignited nearby objects. Homeowner not present at the time of Fire Department arrival. Two other occupants of the home were able to escape without injury and have been assisted by The Red Cross.
Twelve Burlington firefighters responded to the initial call; West Burlington firefighters responded on automatic aid but were cancelled en route. Burlington Police assisted at the scene for displaced residents. There were no injuries reported. Firefighters cleared the scene at 09:00 AM.