June 16, 2021
At 6:41 AM Wednesday June 16, 2021 the Burlington Fire Department responded to a reported house fire at 1609 South Street in Burlington. Firefighters arrived at the scene at 6:44 AM and located a small fire in the basement of the home. Firefighters gained access to the basement and had the fire extinguished by 6:58 AM.
The two-story wood frame house is owned and occupied by James and Karen Polen and is insured. Damage is estimated at $1,000 to the structure and $5,000 to contents. The occupants discovered the fire while investigating the source of a loud noise. The house did have working smoke alarms and the occupants were able to exit without injury.
The fire is considered accidental and is likely caused by vapors from flammable liquids coming in contact with a pilot light from the water heater.
Twelve Burlington firefighters responded to the call and were assisted by 2 West Burlington firefighters responding on automatic aid. Alliant Energy was also called to the scene. There were no injuries. Firefighters cleared the scene at 8:46 AM.