February 16, 2021
At 7:26 PM Monday February 15, 2021 the Burlington Fire Department responded to a reported house fire at 113 Shields Street in Burlington. Firefighters arrived at 7:32 PM to find smoke and flames coming from the attic area near the back of the house. Firefighters located the fire above the ceiling in the home and had the fire extinguished by 7:45 PM.
The duplex rental house is owned by Lloyd Lucas & Steven Wood and is insured. The Occupant, Taylor Robinson, was not at home at the time of the fire. The fire was contained to the attic area above the kitchen. Damages are estimated at $10,000 to the structure and $7,500 to contents. There were no working smoke detectors. The Red Cross has been called for victim assistance.
The cause of the fire is electrical in nature and is considered accidental.
Fifteen Burlington firefighters responded to the call and were assisted by eight West Burlington firefighters responding on automatic aid. Officers with the Burlington Police Department, Burlington Waterworks, and Alliant Energy also assisted at the scene. There were no injuries. Firefighters cleared the scene at 9:04 PM.