November 6, 2020
At 11:50 AM Friday November 6, 2020 the Burlington Fire Department responded to 1503 S. 15th Street in Burlington for a reported house fire. Firefighters arrived at 11:53 AM to find heavy fire and smoke coming from the front of the 1-story home. Flames traveled from the front porch of the house into the attic where the fire spread. Firefighters brought the fire under control at 12:21 PM.
The single family rental home is owned by Scott Herriott of Fairfield, IA. The house was occupied by Jeremy Boche, Michalena Hamor, Robert Austen, & Alexander Bradley all of which were in the home at the time of the fire. One occupant received a minor injury and was treated at the scene by fire department paramedics. Damages are estimated at $70,000 to the structure and $25,000 to contents. The house is insured, but there was no renters insurance. The Red Cross has been called for victim assistance. There were no working smoke detectors.
The fire is considered accidental with the cause being improperly discarded smoking material.
Twelve Burlington firefighters responded to the call and were assisted by six West Burlington firefighters responding on automatic aid. Burlington Police, Superior Ambulance, and Alliant Energy also assisted at the scene. Firefighters cleared the scene at 2:24 PM. There were no other injuries.