May 4, 2020
At 3:19 PM Sunday May 3, 2020 the resident at 708 Spring Street in Burlington reported smoke in her basement. The Burlington Fire Department responded and arrived at 3:22 PM to find light smoke coming from the basement. Crews were able to locate the fire in the clothes dryer and quickly extinguish it.
The single family home, owned by Sidney Carter, sustained smoke damage and the clothes dryer was a total loss. Abby Ramirez was home at the time of the fire, she and her 3 cats were able to escape unharmed. The home did have working smoke detectors.
The fire is considered accidental and due to a mechanical malfunction inside of the clothes dryer.
10 on-duty Burlington firefighters responded to the fire and were assisted by 7 West Burlington firefighters responding on automatic aid. The Burlington Police Department also assisted at the scene. Firefighters remained on the scene until 4:28 PM. There were no injuries.
Luke Sneller, Captain