If I Were Mayor... Essay Contest
2023/2024 Essay Contest
The City of Burlington is hosting the Iowa League of Cities "If I were mayor" essay contest, giving local 7th grade students a chance to answer that question. Students need to write a submit an essay online by Monday, December 4, 2023 to be considered. The City of Burlington will consider each essay submitted and choose a local winner to represent Burlington in the statewide contest with a chance to receive scholarships worth $250 for our congressional district winner and $500 for the state winner!
- Each entry must contain the student's name, home address, telephone number and teacher's name.
- Minimum of 250 word and not to exceed one page.
- Essays must address the subject and begin with "If I were mayor, I would..."
- Only one essay may be submitted per student.
- Essays will be judged based on the following: creativity, clarity, sincerity of thought and proper use of grammar.
- Essays must be received by Monday, December 4, 2023 to be considered. Local winners will be notified once the judging process is complete.
- The City of Burlington will retain the right to submit the winning essay on to the Iowa League of Cities for consideration in the statewide contest.
Learn more about the Iowa League of Cities and their contest at: https://iowaleague.org/awards/if-i-were-mayor/