Annual newsletter providing the Holiday trash schedule, the leaf pick up schedule and more information regarding Solid Waste.
New Collection Program frequently asked questions.
The City of Burlington will provide each resident with their choice of a 35 gallon, 65 gallon or a 95 gallon cart to use for solid waste collection. Solid waste carts allow for a safe work environment for our collections staff and a more attractive community.
Program Time Table
- Starting August 20, 2018: Mailer/Survey Live to give the residence an opportunity to select cart size for your use. Failure to return/reply will result in delivery 65 gallon cart to residence and a fee of $17.50/month for "TRASH" applied to water bill! Please keep in mind, your survey for your residence is being sent to the address that receives the water bill (may go to landlord).
- September 7, 2018: Mailer/Survey Closed.
- Starting September 24, 2018: Assembly and Distribution (A&D) will begin.
- October 6, 2018: All carts will be distributed.
Proposed Monthly Fee
- 35 Gallon - $14.25 (no change from current fees)
- 65 Gallon - $17.50 ($3.25 more per month than current fee)
- 95 Gallon - $20.75 ($6.50 more per month than current fee)
- Extra 65 Gallon Cart - $8.00 more a month
- Extra 95 Gallon Cart - $12.00 more a month
Note: The above fees already include $3.75/mo for the recycling program.
|Overall Depth (D) in inches
|Overall Width (W) in inches
|Overall Height with lid (H) in inches
Things to Consider
- Wheeled cart programs are in place in all climates including Canada.
- Having more space than you need for one (1) week’s garbage gives you the option of skipping a collection set out (icy, blowing snow, wind/lightning, raining “cats & dogs”, extremely cold, extremely hot).
- The difference in the monthly fee between one cart and the next size up is less than the cost of the $4 Trash Tag required for one extra bag.
- Extra space in your cart may be used to dispose of garbage from occasional family holiday gatherings; also household items other than garbage throughout the year (in lieu of City Wide Cleanup).
- The 35 gallon cart has slightly more volume than a 33 gallon can but its concave ribs may not allow as much garbage as the 33 without pushing it down. NOTE: To be emptied, lid must be fully closed!
- The 35 gallon cart has a smaller base/footprint than the 65, and is lighter, and thus less stable and more susceptible to tipping over both before being emptied and after, due to wind and/or sitting on sloped/uneven ground or animals trying to get into the cart.
Trash Route Map
Annual City Wide Clean-Up Program
The Annual City-Wide Clean-Up Program (CWC) will be under review over the next several months. One consideration is to change to a Bulky Item Program only. Please check with the Solid Waste Information line (319-753-8114) in January 2019 for updates to the program.